July 1, 2009 8

what to do, what to do…

By in Inspiration & Ideas, Whole House

Has it really been two months since I last posted? I’m very bad, but things have been a little crazy. After this week, I will finally have an extended period of free time. I’m trying to decide what I want to do for a summer project.

Here are my options:

– Re-do Thurston’s room upstairs, which involves ripping down paneling, patching plaster walls, taking down a drop ceiling, re-doing the closet and painting.

– Re-do my stairwell and downstairs hallway, which involves ripping down paneling, seeing what’s underneath, sanding and painting the stairs, putting in a new hall light and new flooring, redoing some of the stairs woodwork and taking down the wrought iron railing and painting it.

– Re-finish my living room floor, replacing the door and window trim and baseboards, painting and buying new furniture.

There are probably a dozen other things to do as well, such as replace my front door, put in a new storm door on my side porch, and fix my badly deteriorating front steps.

Any ideas anyone?

8 Responses to “what to do, what to do…”

1. April in CT says:

Hi Adam! Good to see you.

I vote refinish living room floors! Probably because we spend most of our time IN our living room and gorgeous floors, new baseboards and comfy new furniture sound totally inviting to me.

Thanks for the input April! I'm going to be making a decision soon!

3. Anonymous says:

Do your staircase. then the living room.

4. Jenni says:

I prioritize my projects by what will bring me the most joy to have done…..basically what is bugging me the absolute most at the time….

I would do the stairwell and hallway first, since it's a continuation of what you've already started upstairs.

Actually…FIRST I would help Anna finish her backyard when you come to visit. 🙂 🙂 🙂

p.s. I am painting the guest bedroom pale gray this weekend! It's going to be gorgeous. xoxox

Anna, I will be glad to help you when I visit! I'm going to have to do some serious scheduling when I head down your way!

7. Anonymous says:

I'm too practical. lol I'd do the doors and steps outside. Better for energy savings and safety. Whatever you choose I look forward to watching.
    Rose

8. Julie Anne in Seatttle says:

Yay! You're back! Yours is my favorite "small blog", and I've been dying for your next post!

If your front steps really are badly deteriorating, I'd do those first. It's good for safety's sake, and curb appeal. I reluctantly re-did the steps leading to my front porch two years ago, and was amazed at how happy I was with the results for so many reasons. And we don't even use that door! (We go in and out the back door, mostly.)

Next, I would do the stairwell and hallway. While you are doing them, is there any way to enlarge or tweak the layout to allow bulky furnishings to be brought up? (Remembering dresser drama '08)

Like the above poster, whatever you (and Anna, if she coaches you gaain this year – yay!) do will be enjoyable to watch!