August 15, 2008 6

upstairs hallway light

By in Inspiration & Ideas, Upstairs Hallway

I’m thinking of this light for the upstairs hallway. I need something big and bright because it is dark up there. Plus the ceiling is about 10 feet high so I think I pendant light will look better than a flush light. Does anyone own one of these or have seen it in person? Let me know what you think!

6 Responses to “upstairs hallway light”

I just left you a comment on Flickr! I’ll paste it here, too. 🙂

How funny. I was going to suggest this when you mentioned that you needed a new hallway light, but I didn’t think you’d like it!

I have this hanging in my living room, and the slightly smaller version hanging in my front hallway. They both look great, but I actually wish I’d gone with the smaller one in the living room, too — only because the adjustable wire on the larger size looks a little strange unless it’s hanging down really far (like in a house with vaulted ceilings). I had to shorten it completely in order to get the light high enough. The smaller globe has a fixed post pendant, and looks a little better with normal-height ceilings (mine are 10′).

p.s. You can sort of see the smaller one in my front hallway in this photo. Later today I’ll try to take better photos of both sizes so you can see what I mean about the wire.

Thanks Anna! I thought you had some of these, but wasn’t sure. I would love to see more pics of them because maybe the smaller one would work better in my hallway. Is it fairly bright?

4. drwende says:

We had that sort of pendant in our dining room in Minneapolis, back when the lamp was a holdover from a 1960s rehab rather than the current big thing. They work just great in the “giving light” function, and they are just a simple globe, very clean looking. If we’d gone for a mid-century modern aesthetic in that old house, we probably would have kept ours.

Oh — and you’re a kick-ass blogger.

I’m sorry I’m so late getting back to you about this! My camera has been really annoying (i.e., breaking) lately, but I finally have a couple of pictures.

Here’s the smaller Fado, the one I recommend:

And here’s the larger one:

I’m sorry that’s so blurry (my camera would NOT focus, I need a new one NOW…), but hopefully you can see what I was talking about with the adjustable wire looking weird at such a short length. I would definitely go for the one with the fixed post instead.

The light is as bright as you want it to be, really. It takes a single bulb with a max wattage of 75W, but if you use a CFL you can go higher of course. The white glass is frosted, but it doesn’t throw a yellow cast or anything.

Anna, please don’t worry about it, things have been crazy here! I love the look of those lights even more after seeing these pics, and I’m going to go with the smaller fixed pendant version. Now I just have to make a trip to Ottawa to get one!