July 22, 2008 20

ready for drywall

By in Master Bedroom

The perimeter frame is still up in this pic.

Sunday and yesterday were spent removing the awful drop ceiling. This whole project is worth it alone just to be able to see that ceiling “go the way of the Dodo”! Just 6 more drop ceilings to go! Drywall is going to be done some evening this week. Now is the time Anna for serious color and finish talk. Let’s hear what you got!

20 Responses to “ready for drywall”

You are amazing. I’m astonished at how much you’ve gotten done already!

As for color, well, you know I’m going to say white! Since you’re going to be painting the floors, I’d love to see you do white walls/trim and a color (maybe a really soft blue-gray, which would look amazing with your bed).

Think about the bedrooms that you tend to gravitate toward when you’re looking at photos — don’t they tend to have white walls?

(p.s. What brand of paint are you panning to use?)

Oops, what I mean to say was “I’d love to see you do white walls/trim and a color on the floor.”

I was thinking white as well because I loved so many of the inspiration photos with white walls. Would you say gloss for the trim and eggshell or satin for the walls? Also, a lot of the trim is chipped down to several layers or even the wood. How do you recommend evening it out a little so things aren’t too bumpy? And what about caulking? I have so many questions!

I think a blue gray for the floor would look great as well. Last time I painted I used Benjamin Moore paint. I’m not familiar with a lot of brands out there.

My mom got me a great microfiber down filled blanket in white (queen sized) for my bed yesterday. It is very thin and super warm she says.

My personal preference is matte paint for the walls and satin for the trim. I think it’s very important to have a low luster in older houses, where too much gloss will accentuate imperfections. I know it seems like satin finish isn’t glossy enough for trim, but it appears glossy when it’s paired with matte walls, trust me!

I love Benjamin Moore paints. I don’t think I can ever go back to using cheaper brands! I used their washable flat finish for the walls in my hallways and kitchen. It looks just like the matte finish, but you can clean it without leaving any marks. It’s a little bit more expensive, but it something to keep in mind if you’re worried about that kind of thing. On the trim, I used their Satin Impervo finish. It’s held up really well.

I didn’t use BM primer. I personally really like Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer/sealer. It’s AMAZING at hiding water stains, etc., and going over multiple layers of paint. I LOVE IT, and it’s cheaper than BM primer anyway. Zinsser makes really good prep products.

Caulking is essential. I am a caulking FIEND. My absolute favorite caulk is Red Devil Paint Master (blue tube), but it can be hard to find. GE has a good option that you can buy anywhere, I can get you the specific name tonight. What you want is a siliconized acrylic caulk that has a paintable finish and a drying time of 2-6 hours (not one that has to dry for 24 hours before painting, you will lose your mind). It’s worth getting a good caulk gun that’s labeled as being dripless.

CAULK EVERYTHING. Everywhere wood meets plaster/sheetrock or another piece of wood. EVERY SINGLE JOIN, even if you don’t see a gap. Good caulking is THE KEY to a good paint job. It takes a while to get the hang of it (I like to do a thin bead, then run a damp finger over it to smooth), but it’s really worth the time.

Comment to be continued…

I usually use a step above matte finish, because I can’t stand the feel of matte finish on my hands. But I can give it a try. I know what you mean about low luster in an old house. I’m not very good at caulking, but I have a feeling I’m about to get my practice!

Okay, now on to dealing with chipped paint! This is just what I do, because I can’t possibly take the time to scrape everything down to bare wood. I also don’t care about imperfections too much, that’s part of what’s great about an old house — you can get away with things being a little rough around the edges!

Basically, I start by scraping off any paint that’s peeling/flaking/totally loose. Then, I sand down the edges of the paint that I’m not scraping off, just to soften the transition a bit. The next step is filling in any gouges and holes (I used the Zinsser Ready Patch that I mentioned to you before) and sanding smooth. Then, I do a light sanding over everything with fine-grit paper and vacuum the entire room from floor to ceiling.

Next, I clean the trim really well with TSP substitute (you can buy it anywhere). Then comes the caulking. When the caulk is dry, I go over the trim with a tack cloth right before painting just in case there are any little bits of dust left.

Primer, two coats of paint, DONE.

Oh, and I used BM Moonlight White on my walls and ceilings, and BM Simply White on all of my trim. The Moonlight White is a little bit on the warm, creamy side, which I like since I have so much wood furniture. I also didn’t want to use a super-bright white, since it can make other white things in the room (like painted white furniture) look dirty.

p.s. Stop putting your hands all over your walls! 😛

Can I add that I never thought I would be at a point in my life where I have a FAVORITE KIND OF CAULK?

8. April in CT says:

All this caulk talk makes me miss owning a home! I really have the urge to paint something all of a sudden.

Adam, what a beautiful mess that room is awaiting it’s new start on life.

Ok, I will keep my hands off the walls. Would you recommend painting the ceiling the same color as the walls or just regular ceiling white? There are a lot of steps here, but it sounds like everything will look really well when I am done. Now what about the floor?

Caulk Talk! Adam, we need a TV show.

I painted my ceiling the same white as the walls because I don’t have crown moldings, and the line where the walls meet the ceilings is totally wavy and uneven. It was just so much easier to do it all the same color. If I had been painting the walls a color other than white, I probably would have left the ceilings white, though. (Did that make sense?)

I’m not sure yet about painting the floor, because I haven’t done it yet! What I’ve been told and have read is to basically do the same kind of prep that I do on the trim, and then use floor/porch paint. Some people use a couple of coats of polyurethane on top, but I’m worried about it yellowing since I’m going to do white floors. I think I’m going to ask about this on my blog soon and see what other people have done.

I can tell you with certainty that I will NOT be using alkyd/oil-based paints! Too much mess for me.

You can see the trim/wall colors I used pretty well here:

See how that wall color works well with different kinds of whites and woods? It doesn’t read as an “off white”, but it’s softer than a bright white.

Ok Anna, I love those two whites! They will work perfectly. Would you recommend painting the door the same as the trim? That door is going to be a #@$% to prep! It needs a lot of TLC! I totally agree also, NO OIL PAINT! Too much hassle! I only do my paintings in oil. Soon I’m sure I’ll have a favorite kind of caulk too!

April:
    Thank you so much! I can’t wait to see how it is all going to come together.

Since you have different kinds of doors in your house (mix of old & new), I would paint them the same color as the trim…at least on the outside (hall side). That will help them look more unified. Maybe on the inside, though, you could paint it a color? That could be fun, but I would wait until you decide on your linens, floor color, and all of that kind of thing to pick the color for the door.

What are you thinking for the floor color?

I’m eventually going to replace all the modern doors with vintage “looking” doors, but white is probably a good color. I was thinking a light blue-gray for the floor like you were thinking or a light green, but I will probably stick with blue.

15. April in CT says:

Ok, so I know nobody asked me, but I just have to say that I think a blue-gray would be a knockout floor color to use with the white walls. From the idea pictures Anna has posted and seeing the room in progress pictures it just seems like it would fit so well. 🙂

16. jennifer in sf says:

Wait, I need more Caulk Talk! I’m confused about why the caulking happens if it isn’t to close gaps? You really caulk all along where the trim meets the wall?

Jennifer, yes, I really caulk everything! You might not see a gap when you’re painting, but over time, the house settles, wood expands and contracts, and gaps will develop. It’s especially important to caulk when you’re using white paint or other light colors, because those gaps will show like nobody’s business.

I should note that I really do wipe off all of the excess caulk completely, so it doesn’t show at all when it’s painted. I’m not talking about a 1/4″ bead of caulk like you’d do around a bathtub!

18. jennifer in sf says:

Interesting, I might have to try that when I paint my apartment. Although my walls are so lumpy, the gaps would have a hard time getting noticed…

19. lesley says:

hi adam… lesley, pal-of-anna here. am i nuts to say i kinda love the messed-up walls (in the pix with the ladder)? … well, anna can answer that, yes, i am nuts. hee. shhh, ignore me. and yes, ben moore paint ROCKS. good luck; can’t wait to see the results!

Lesley:
    I have a friend who thought it would be great to somehow seal the walls and leave them as is. I think it would look really col at first, but knowing me I would tire of it quickly.