July 18, 2008 10

bedroom door

By in Master Bedroom

I love my bedroom door, it is one of 5 out of my 13 doors that are original to the house. The rest are ugly modern flat panel doors and some unattractive pocket doors that need to be replaced.

The bedroom door is is in fairly good shape but it has some trouble spots that need fixing. There are two holes at the top that go all the way through the door where some horrible iron thing was bolted to it (for what reason I’m not sure, maybe to hang things on?) and a notch at the top corner and one of the bottom corners. What happened there I have no clue. The hardware is pretty gunked up too. I believe I will use wood putty for the screw holes and the notches and just rebuild those areas and sand them.

I’m not sure what to do about the hardware. I don’t know if I should try to take it off and get the paint off or if I should leave it be. Does anyone know if I should soak the hardware in paint thinner or will something else work better? Let me know what you think!

10 Responses to “bedroom door”

1. suzanne says:

place all of the hardware in a pot of boiling water and the metal will expand, which in turn will loosen the paint. economical and you and your pets won’t be inhaling toxic chemicals! just be sure to use a dedicated pot in case the paint contains lead.
    i have been following along and enjoying your blog very much!

2. I’ve heard the same thing – if you like the hardware, boil the paint off!

Thank you Suzanne! I will be trying it soon and letting you know the results!

Adam, I’ve had much better results using a crock pot instead of fully boiling water, actually, and it eliminates the risk of releasing lead vapors into the air (which can happen from high heat).

I bought a small crock pot for less than $10, I only use it for cooking hardware. You just put a little laundry detergent into the water, set it to the middle heat setting, and let it cook overnight. In the morning, most of the paint will just fall off (it’s soooo cool!), but you might have to get into tight crevices with a toothpick.

Oh, and by the way, I swear by this stuff for patching holes/gouges in wood:

Not good for rebuilding corners, but excellent and easy to work with for things like those holes. Just do it in several layers, and sand really well.

Thanks Anna! I might actually have an old crockpot around that I never use, although I might have sold it in a garage sale. I can check around though and I’m sure I can find a used one. That patching compound sounds pretty good and very strong! I’ll see if any of the hardware or building supply stores around here carry it. I’m running on empty and still don’t feel like I can sleep, but I don’t feel nearly as discouraged as I did earlier today, so it will be back to renovating tomorrow. Since I can’t do a lot more with the walls until the beginning of the week I think I will take down the drop ceiling tomorrow.

6. kristy says:

wow i didnt know boiling can release paint? i’ve been using paint remover forever and it’s so toxic. burns your skin too! this is cool to know.

i’ve also been following your progress adam. it’s really interesting to watch. such a beautiful house to renovate. i’m not renovating at the moment, so cool to live through you!

Thanks Kristy! I’m glad you’re enjoying the blog!

8. Stephanie says:

Wow, what I wouldn’t give to have original doors like that! You’re so lucky. That sounds like a fun and rewarding project to tackle!

9. Ryan says:

The door to my basement also has a weird hold close to the bottom and a 2″ wide notch. I don’t know what it’s from and maybe don’t want to know. (I start imagining some creature trying to chew through the door from the basement…too much)

10. Priscilla says:

I wish I had known this too. I successfully removed the paint from a lot of hardware in my house. I did it, but it took forever. The results were uncovering beautiful brass plates with wonderful detailed scrollwork.