July 17, 2008 7

Thurston’s room

By in Pets, Thurston's Room

Thurston is my cat, who came to live with me almost 8 years ago. I have no idea how old he is as he was an adult when I adopted him from the Potsdam Humane Socety (of which I am a board member) but I think he is pretty old, as he’s slowing down a little. Anyway, Thurston has his own room upstairs which is a small spare bedroom that I decided to put his litter pan and food bowls in. Nothing has been done to this room at all since I bought the house but it pretty much follows the rest of the “wreckorated” scheme upstairs.

7 Responses to “Thurston’s room”

  1. Anna at D16 says:

    I’m telling you, WALK-IN CLOSET!

    Thurston is adorable. I love how wee he looks in that big bed. 🙂

  2. Adam says:

    I have thought WALK_IN CLOSET a million times, I’m just not sure about having a litter pan in with all of my clothes, and I’m not sure where else I could move it to without causing chaos for Thurston. Maybe out in the hallway if I could get the door to his room to open in instead of out?

  3. Anna at D16 says:

    I always forget how weird cats are about changing anything in their environments, but you definitely have a point there. I wonder if putting an air filter in the room would make it OK to use as closet and still keep the litter box in there?

    I’m thinking that the door probably opens out because of something weird they did when they put up the paneling, because room doors usually open inwards. Our downstairs bathroom door opens out (that bath was added in the ’50s, and they moved some walls around), and it’s annoying. I’m going to see if we can switch it to open the other way when we renovate that bathroom.

    What are those things on the wall (above Thurston’s bed, on the chase) that look like speaker cover panels??

  4. Adam says:

    That chase holds the exhaust pipe for my furnace. There is a similar one in my office downstairs below this room. I hate them, but there is not a lot I can do unless I get a new furnace that I can vent differently. I never knew those were called “chases”.

  5. Anna at D16 says:

    The whole structure (the walls that contain the pipes) is called a chase. What are those panels, though? (The things that look like frames.) Are they vents? What are they made out of?

  6. Adam says:

    Those panels are vents, and they are made of a brass colored screen. I guess it was an attempt to let more heat out but I’m not sure how well it really works. I’ll take some close up pics. I’ll have to take pics of my office too but then everyone will see my Star Wars “dollies”!

  7. Anna at D16 says:

    You guys and your dollies! Geez. 😀

    I’ve never seen anything like those vents! I’m sure they could be spray-painted, although if you’re planning to take down the paneling in this room you might want to just rethink the whole business while you’re at it. For some reason, I kind of like them. I keep picturing them upholstered, which is stupid, I know.

    I don’t know, though, it kind of seems like heat would be more likely to ESCAPE through vents that big, doesn’t it? I have no idea, I know nothing about heating.

Leave a Reply