July 3, 2008 7

bedroom walls- scary!

By in Master Bedroom

So I started ripping loose pieces of paper down- very carefully of course- today and what was waiting underneath for me has really unsettled me! The walls have some rough spots where the plaster is soft or is gone. Nothing huge yet but some cracks and small holes. Now I don’t know if I should keep trying to remove paper or stop right way and just go over everything with a liner paper that I can paint or what to do! My confidence is mildly shaken. Plus I never anticipated that I would be this bothered by moving out of my room into the guest bedroom next door but I am! I’ll get over it in a day or so I’m sure.

7 Responses to “bedroom walls- scary!”

Honey, you can totally do it. If you can pull down the stuff that’s loose, it’ll be so worth it even if you do decide to put up the liner paper later. it’ll look smoother, and it’s worth the time and effort.

It doesn’t look so bad, honestly. I should post a picture of what my dressing room (that little room at the front of the house that you helped me paint!) looked like after we pulled down the paneling. It was like raw meat had been hidden behind the walls and a tasmanian devil was let loose in there with the doors locked.

I think I can get away with patching it and then painting it. I don’t mind plaster walls that are somewhat uneven- I just don’t want them to crumble to pieces. Originally I was going to put up all new drywall, but everyone I talk to said it will be easier and cheaper to fix the plaster. So we shall see.

3. Stephanie says:

I would try patching up the holes too. We ran into the same problem in our dining room. After we pulled off the wallpaper we realized why they had put it up in the first place – horse hair plaster walls. A bunch would just crumble off when we touched it. We did the best we could patching them up and then painted over it. It’s not completely smooth but it kind of gives the walls character. I guess it depends on the look you’re going for in the room and what you’re willing to spend.

Oh yeah, definitely don’t put up drywall! One of the best things about old houses are the plaster walls! They are (almost) infinitely repairable, and look so much more “right” than drywall does in an old house. Personally, I think the more flaws there are overall, the less you tend to notice one thing in a room that’s damaged or funky.

We used very little drywall when we were working on the walls. We really only used in areas like behind the kitchen sink, where the wall was completely GONE. Oh, and also when we had to build chases around new pipework.

You are doing such a great job, Adam. I’m glad you’re moving forward so quickly! 🙂 I wish I were closer so I could come and help. xox

Stephanie:

When I re-did my dining room and sitting/breakfast room I put up new drywall over the wooden paneling that was over the walls. Also my original ceiling in those rooms was very sloped. Everything came out very nice, but sometimes I wonder if I should have pulled down all of the paneling and worked with the original walls.

Anna:

I think things will go ok, I have been reading online about how to patch old plaster walls. I plan to move out of the room completely this weekend and start full steam ahead on demo next week! I want to get it done so I can enjoy the room this summer. I wish you lived closer too!

6. Jaimie says:

This may not be in the budget but we hired a plasterer to smooth out sections of our plaster walls that were damaged. We also had some unattractive walls that were intentionally textured plaster (think nubbly) and the plasterer smoothed those out.

We briefly thought about re-drywalling too, but that would have been much messier in the end. Plus, plaster is more soundproof and fresh plaster paints like a dream.

7. Priscilla says:

I feel your pain. When we moved into our house, we actually had duct tape holding the crumbling walls of our bedroom together. Not fun. We ended up gutting the whole thing, and then dry walling. We had no choice. In some other rooms we were able to repair the existing plaster.