July 1, 2008 12

free cabinet- ideas?

By in Inspiration & Ideas, Scavenged Stuff

I got this cabinet for free last week. A man around the block from me was moving to California and ran out of room in his moving truck so I got this cabinet from him. It is solid wood, I think pine. I can’t figure out the door hinges yet, but I’m sure I will. Fire away with your ideas!

12 Responses to “free cabinet- ideas?”

I’m trying to figure out what I’m looking at. Is the front of the door glass? Or a screen? And does it completely cover the opening of the cabinet? For some reason, it looks too small. It’s probably just an illusion!

How tall is it?

Definite potential! Let me think a bit and get back to you. 🙂

It is glass and it covers the whole opening. It is about 3.5-4 feet tall.

I’m thinking this could work in the kitchen somehow, but let’s cross that bridge when we come to it. 🙂

4. Stacy says:

What a great blog. My pal just finished a home in Spain – well not exactly finished yet!

Idea for the cabinet – I just came across this artist working in London – Loveannajames – google her and check out her reclaimed furniture/art.

PS watch out for the asbestos in the old linoleum!

5. Cat says:

I thought the kitchen as well. It might make a great storage/microwave stand once the water heater leaves. Leave the door off and stain it (not paint it) a fun, bright color. Be sure to seal it so it can be wiped off.

That drawer looks pretty deep, maybe bake ware or pots & pans?

Could also try to replace, or add, a shelf that’s retractable (like a keyboard tray) so you don’t lose things in the depths.

If kitchen is vetoed, your sun porch maybe. Could hold seasonal supplies. Or garden supplies.

Free stuff is great. Free stuff that can actually be used is awesome!

I’ve got to disagree with Catherine (sorry Catherine!) on the suggestion to stain this cabinet. Stained knotty pine is just not something you want to put in your house — it’s cloying, it’s dated, and it will look cheap.

I really think you need an opaque paint (color TBD by location/use) and to line the back with wallpaper, wrapping paper or fabric in a nice pattern that will show through the glass door. It looks like there’s no back on it at the moment, but you can easily make one out of masonite, cover it with paper, and then nail it on.

I’d also switch out those handles for cute, round knobs (again, color TBD).

BTW, my first though for a purpose for this in the kitchen was to use the top shelf to display something extra-pretty (a beautiful bowl, maybe?) and then to use the bottom two shelves for storing cookbooks. That drawer would be great for kitchen supplies you don’t want to look at, like placemats, napkins, extra candles, etc.

(I’m desperate for a floor plan–with measurements–of the kitchen!!)

Catherine:
    Thanks for the comment! It might very well go in my kitchen at some point! Free stuff is great!

Anna:
    I’m desperate to give you measurements for my kitchen too, it’s just that I hate measuring sooooo much! I will get my butt in gear and do it though, my kitchen has so many angles and what not!

9. Nikolc says:

I’m thinking bonfire?

10. goosefairy says:

be careful in how you prep this for painting if that’s the way you go. we prepped some knotty pine for our daughter’s room to paint it a gloss white and the knots have never stopped bleeding through. we have used just about everything you’re supposed to use to prevent the sap bleed but none of it worked.

i found your blog thru “pink loves brown” and am so glad i did!

Goosefairy, the trick is to use a primer with a real shellac base. It’s the only think that will stop the sap/knots from bleeding through.

Zinsser BIN makes a good product in a can or a spray: